All week I have been suggesting that one should adopt a healthy diet to assist their daily eating habits. Well I have found a few good recipes (and yes I have personally tried them all! The next time I make them I will be sure to take my own pictures to share with you!) and I would like to share them with you!
- 1 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (or swiss cheese or feta cheese…or what ever cheese you like!)
- 2 Whole eggs or 1 cup egg whites
What I do is I will cook the eggs, and before they are done I will add about one cup of veggies (like bell peppers and onions and mushrooms) but you can add what every you like.
Along with this burrito I may have an orange or apple or a cup of grapes along with a 8oz glass of 1% milk
Breakfast is usually one of my big meals of the day so the total calorie count is about 400 calories.
- 2 6- to 7-ounce cans boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread, or Whole Wheat Bread toasted
- 8 slices tomato (optional)
- 2 large leaves romaine lettuce, cut in half
- Combine salmon, onion, lemon juice, oil and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese on each of 4 slices of bread. Spread 1/2 cup salmon salad over the cream cheese. Top with 2 tomato slices, a piece of lettuce and another slice of bread.
Per serving: 286 calories; 9 g fat ( 3 g sat , 4 g mono ); 34 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 645 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (17% dv), source of omega-3s.
Estimated calorie count: 286 calories
Turkey Chilli (great for the upcoming winter time!!) : Estimated Prep Time = 1 hour
Ingredients (Makes 8 serving sizes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans – drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
- Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
Estimated calorie count: 185 calories
Here are only a few recipe options to help you get started to help you start to plan out your meal. Good luck and happy cooking!!